April 11, 2023 -- The City employs multiple channels of communication to share news and updates regarding capital improvement projects (CIP). These include:
- Public information meetings for two-way communication and Q&A
- City website (cityhpil.com) and the interactive CIP Storymap (cityhpil.com/construction)
- City eNews (cityhpil.com/enews)
- Social media (facebook.com/HighlandParkIL and twitter.com/CityHPIL)
- Project-specific email (sign-ups available on a per-project basis)
- Postal mail notifications sent to property owners within a designated radius of a project
The City’s 2023 CIP StoryMap offers an interactive way to explore information about projects that are in various stages of development or implementation. Project stages are clearly marked on the map, and relevant downloads are provided. Each item also includes a project description, accompanying map, and primary point of contact within the City. Please note that the list is tentative and subject to change pending City Council approval and funding availability. The CIP StoryMap also includes projects managed by IDOT within the City, with high-level summaries and anticipated impacts on the community.
In addition to updates posted on the City's website and the interactive StoryMap, large-scale projects may also have a dedicated web presence, sometimes from the planning stages. Examples of such projects include the Clavey Road Reconstruction Project, where construction is ongoing, and the Green Bay Road Reconstruction Project, which is still in the public engagement phase. These standalone websites are regularly promoted in the City's eNews.
Once construction is underway, project signage also provides valuable updates regarding project progress. Signage options include:
- On-site construction information signage
- Digital message board
- Door tags placed at nearby properties (if warranted)
- Digital kiosks in Downtown Highland Park
Sister governments and community partners are also notified of projects that may impact them or their constituents. Quarterly, the City hosts a meeting of the chief elected and appointed officials of the governments serving Highland Park residents to promote synergy and collaboration.
Regular updates on 2023 public infrastructure CIP projects and upcoming future projects are posted on the City’s interactive construction StoryMap at cityhpil.com/construction. For additional details on the City’s construction projects, please contact the Department of Public Works at 847.432.0807.
This information appeared in the March 17, 2023 edition of eNews. Sign up for eNews to receive important updates from the City direct to your inbox.