The City of Highland Park understands the urgency for Real Estate Transfer Stamps in order to proceed with real estate closings. To obtain a real estate transfer stamp, mail the completed documentation along with payment to City Hall Attn. Finance at 1707 St. Johns Ave., Highland Park, IL 60035. Please allow 5-7 business days from date of payment receipt for processing, and an additional 3-4 days for mailing. Contact the Finance Department by email at email@example.com or phone at 847.432.0800 if this is an urgent matter.
Instructions for Purchasing Transfer Tax Stamps
The following items are required in order to purchase Real Estate Transfer Tax stamps from the City of Highland Park:
Disclosure Statement - This Disclosure Statement must be signed by all of the transferors (sellers) and transferees (buyers) of the subject property, or by their respective attorneys. All signatures must be notarized on the acknowledgement page. Copies are accepted.
- Real Estate Transfer Tax Declaration Form - This form must be fully completed including two signatures. At least one of the grantors (or their agent) and at least one of the grantees (or their agent) must sign this form.
- Copy of the New Deed - The City requires a copy of the deed that you will be filing with the Recorder of Deeds office. When applying for an exemption, the City will need the original deed and sufficient proof of all facts necessary to establish the specific claimed exemption.
- Please note: Exemption ‘N’ requires a letter from the Director of Community Development or the Director of the Highland Park Land Trust
- Please note: A final water bill must be prepared and paid at the time of transfer tax stamp purchase. A final meter reading may be scheduled up to one week prior to closing. See #5 for acceptable forms of payment.
- Cashier’s Check
- Certified Check
- A Check written on the account of, the attorney or law firm representing either the transferor or transferee
- Title Company Check
All checks must be made payable to: City of Highland Park.
PERSONAL CHECKS AND CREDIT CARDS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
Stamps can be purchased in-person or by USPS/FedEx/UPS. Please include all required forms and payment, as well as instructions on where to mail the stamp back. Please include a Fed Ex or UPS return label, if required.
There is also a drop box located adjacent to City Hall in the parking lot off of Hazel.
City of Highland Park
City Hall - Finance Department
1707 St. Johns Avenue
Highland Park, IL 60035