State of Illinois Taxes
The State of Illinois imposes taxes on businesses within the State of Illinois. These taxes must be paid directly to the State of Illinois. For more information concerning general merchandise sales tax please visit the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) web site at: https://www.revenue.state.il.us/app/trii/.
- The current State of Illinois general merchandise sales tax rate can be obtained by clicking here.
City of Highland Park Taxes
In addition to the State of Illinois General Merchandise Tax, the City of Highland Park imposes business taxes on businesses within the City of Highland Park. The City tax must be paid directly to the City and the appropriate tax return must be completed and submitted with payment. Payment of these taxes is the responsibility of the business. For more information on the City's food and beverage tax, package liquor tax, or motor fuel tax, please contact the City of Highland Park's Finance Department at 847.432.0800.
- A food and beverage tax rate of an additional 1% is assessed upon food and beverages prepared and sold for immediate consumption provided that facilities are available to consume the food on the premises, regardless of whether the consumption occurs on the premises or not.
- A package liquor tax rate of an additional 1% is assessed on alcoholic beverages sold in original containers.
- A motor fuel tax rate is an additional two cents per gallon or a fraction thereof, sold at retail.
Required Forms and Method of Payment
Registration Form - complete and mail this one-time (no-fee) registration form. This form must be re-submitted if any of the information provided has changed.
- Food and Beverage Tax Registration Form
- Package Liquor Registration Form
- Motor Fuel Tax Registration Form
Tax Returns - completed and signed City of Highland Park tax return(s). A copy of the IDOR ST-1 form. Businesses that are part of multiple locations to include a copy of the IDOR ST-2 Multiple Site Form page that includes the Highland Park location. Motor fuel tax returns to also include a copy of the IDOR PST-2 form.
The following payment types are accepted:
- Cash - if paying in person
- Check - made payable to City of Highland Park, or
- Credit card accepted only if paying in person (VISA, MasterCard, Discover)