PAYMENTS ALERT: July 19, 2023 - The City of Highland Park has launched a new Permitting & Licensing platform. Please scroll to the bottom of the page for instructions on how to make permit payments.
ALERT: It is expected the State of Illinois will adopt the 2021 IECC and at that time all new permit applications shall comply with the 2021 Illinois Energy Conservation Code (IECC).
- Free Codes Online: codes.iccsafe.org
- Books & PDFs for Purchase: shop.iccsafe.org
- Illinois Amendments: FINAL APPROVAL PENDING
- SEDAC Training: smartenergy.illinois.edu
ANNOUNCEMENT: The City of Highland Park offers a 3 business day turnaround for complete residential, rooftop solar permit applications (non-historical landmarks or districts).
Building Permit Application Process
1. Download, complete, and sign the necessary application(s).
2. Gather supporting documentation (see requirements below).
3. Submit all documents to the Building Department via email at email@example.com or in person at 1150 Half Day Rd., Highland Park, IL 60035 (drop box available after hours).
* Incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
* All applications and supporting documentation must be submitted at the same time.
* Permit fees are calculated according to the City's annual fee schedule upon completion of the review.
Building Department Inspections
Required Inspections Matrix (11x17)
Required Inspections Matrix (8.5x11)
Residential Alarm Pre-Inspection Checklist
Inspection requests can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Inspection Requests Must Include:
- Property address
- Permit number(s)
- ALL requested inspection type(s)
- Name, phone, & email of contact for day of inspection
- Preferred timeframe of AM (8am-12pm) or PM (12pm-3pm).
The cutoff time is 2:30pm for an inspection on the next business day.
- Incomplete requests will not be scheduled.
Permit Extension Requests
1. Email requests to email@example.com.
2. Include construction site address(es) and permit number(s).
* 1st extension (for 6 months) is free.
Change of Contractor Process
1. Download, complete, and sign a Change of Contractor request.
2. Download, complete, and sign a new application(s).
Include existing permit number(s).
3. Email request to firstname.lastname@example.org with all forms.
4. The email subject line should read:
Change of Contractor Request: (ADDRESS)
The City of Highland Park Building Division is now accepting certain permit applications, payments, and inspection requests through the online Civic Access Portal.
Civic Access Portal Account Creation Instructions
Permit Application & Inspection Request Instructions
Plan Review Transmittal Form: Not for new submittals.
Use this as the cover for any project revisions, design changes, field changes, or any existing permit-related requests.
Other Permit-Related Forms & Information
- J.U.L.I.E.: Contact J.U.L.I.E. before you dig at https://www.illinois1call.com/ or call 811 or 800.892.0123.
- General Easement Waiver: Required for work in or through a City or utility company easement.
- WDO Application: Watershed Development Ordinance permit required from Lake County for work inside of a floodplain.
- North Shore Water Reclamation Guides: Information regarding when sanitary permits are required from NSWRD.
- North Shore Water Reclamation Contact: Contact information for NSWRD.
Permit Submittal Requirements
Payments for Permits applied for ON OR AFTER July 19, 2023
All permits that have been received and entered by the Building Division on or AFTER July 19, 2023 can be viewed, printed, and paid at the City's online Civic Access Portal. Please note that a user must have a registered account and be listed as a Billing Contact for a given permit.
Payments for Permits Applied for BEFORE July 19, 2023
All permits that were received and invoiced by the Building Division BEFORE July 19, 2023 can be viewed and paid at the City's Access Online Permitting Services page.
- When entering an address to view a permit, you may enter the street number and the first few letters of the street name followed by an asterisk (*), then hit search.
- For example, entering “1150 Ha*” would show permits for 1150 Half Day Road.
- Two periods (..) can be used to search a range. For example, 09/07/2009..09/09/2009 will retrieve all the permits from 09/07/2009 to 09/09/2009.
- If you wish to log in (not required):
- Choose "Registered Users" or "New User"
- Follow the prompts to enter or create your user name and password.