The Building Division is responsible for the review and approval of all construction plans for conformance with applicable codes as well as conducting site inspections for all projects, including general construction and plumbing, electrical and HVAC mechanical systems.
The division works closely with the Fire Prevention Bureau to ensure conformance with life safety code requirements, and with the Engineering Division to ensure compliance with drainage, grading and steep slope requirements.
Building Department Applications and Inspections
- Submit permit application(s) and all associated materials (including architectural drawings) via e-mail directly to email@example.com
- Request inspection via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please click the text links in the colored boxes below to obtain useful Building Division documents and information.
- Newly Adopted Building Codes and Amendments
- Helpful Information & Publications
- Permit Applications & Submittal Requirements
- Contractor Requirements
- Online Permitting Service
- Highland Park 2020 Permit Book
Note: Please remember that your copy of the plans stamped "approved" by the City of Highland Park must be on the job at the time of all inspections!
Online Permitting Options
Highland Park's online permitting service allows people to view information regarding building permits, including the results of inspections. It also allows customers to schedule inspections.
There are two options for online permitting: Permit Inquiry requests and Inspection requests.
- Choosing “Permit Inquiry” allows access to view information on a permit, including previous or scheduled inspections.
- Choosing “Inspection Requests” will take you to the inspection scheduling page.
- When entering an address to call up a permit, it is not necessary to enter the whole street name. You may enter the street number and the first few letters of the street name followed by an asterisk (*), then hit search.
- For example, entering “1150 Ha*” would call up the permits for 1150 Half Day Road.Two periods (..) can be used to search a range.
- For example, 09/07/2009..09/09/2009 will retrieve all the permits from 09/07/2009 to 09/09/2009.
- If you wish to log in (not required):
- Choose "Registered Users" or "New User."
- Follow the prompts to enter or create your user name and password.