HP150 Architecture Events & Initiatives
There are a variety of special events and initiatives planned for the City’s sesquicentennial celebration. The HP150 Architecture Committee plans on celebrating with the following events:
- Historic Homes Celebration – April-May. Yard signs were placed at nearly 200 homes throughout Highland Park to identify and celebrate the City's significant and noteworthy homes. Volunteers will be installing signs the weekend of April 6-7.
- FOCUS ON THE ARTS Bus Tour– April 12. This 90-minute bus tour was for Highland Park High School students. A docent will highlight renowned residential styles including vernacular, historic revival, prairie, modern, and post modern.
- Architecture Bus Tours - May 11. The City offered three tours showcasing the City's notable architecture and art.
- What's that Style? Tour, guided by Laura Knapp.
- Hollywood in Highland Park Tour, guided by Susan Benjamin.
- Art Tour, guided by Beth Boyd and Mary Shea.
- Chicago Architecture Center Walking Tours
- The CAC is leading several Highland Park walking tours starting in May. The 2-hour tour traces Highland Park’s history from pioneer settlement to summer retreat for Chicago’s wealthy to year-round suburb. Encounter a beautiful variety of residential styles and see homes by architects like Frank Lloyd Wright and W. W. Boyington.
- Tour dates: May 11, June 15, July 14, August 4, and October 5
- Tickets: $26 (free for CAC members)
- Visit the CAC website to purchase tickets and learn more!
- Open Doors Highland Park – September 28. This free tour day will allow participants to enter non-residential building interiors and hear from docents about the history of each site.
Historic Walking Tours
Want to explore the City's historic homes on your own? The Historic Preservation Commission produced four architectural tours in Highland Park: two are specific to historic parts of the City, Laurel-Prospect and Hazel-Ravine, and two feature the work of prominent architects, John Van Bergen and Robert Seyfarth. We hope you’ll take advantage of these tours to step back in Highland Park’s history and see some of the homes that make this City so special.
- Laurel-Prospect Walking Tour
- Hazel-Ravine Walking Tour
- John Van Bergen Architectural Tour
- Robert Seyfarth Architectural Tour
HP150 Architecture Committee
This initiative is made possible through significant contributions from a team of dedicated volunteers:
Highland Park Building Company