Spring brings warmer weather, longer days, and the start of construction season! Wondering about construction activity you're seeing around town? The Public Works Department posts updates about current and future projects via an interactive map on the City website at cityhpil.com/construction. You'll find locations, timelines, and other pertinent details about current construction projects. Residents directly impacted by construction projects will be notified by Public Works.
The City's 2021 Capital Improvement Program (CIP), part of the City’s core mission of Infrastructure Investment, includes improvement projects prioritized annually based on life safety consideration, functional deficiencies, age of infrastructure, and reducing long-term expensive replacements.
Listed below are major construction projects scheduled for 2021:
- Clavey Rd. Improvements Project (Phase One Construction-Bridge & Water Main)
- Walker Ave., St. Johns Ave., and Lauretta Pl. Water Main Replacement Project
- Laurel Ave. East End Bluff Slope Restoration Project
- Asphalt Streets Rehabilitation Program
- Concrete Streets and Sidewalk Repair Program
- Central-South Parking Lot Reconstruction Project
- Sanitary and Storm Sewer Main Lining Program
- Hydrant Painting and Hydrant Flushing Programs
- Tree Removal and Planting Program
- Public Services Roof Replacement
- St. Johns Deck Repairs
- Hidden Ridge Lift Station Improvements
In addition, IDOT is scheduled to work on the following projects in Highland Park:
- Lake Cook Rd bridge over US 41: Bridge repairs were started in 2020 and will be completed in the spring of 2021.
- Sheridan Rd resurfacing between Lake Cook Rd and Lambert Tree Rd.
Learn more about these projects at cityhpil.com/construction under the IDOT tab.
For additional details on the City’s construction projects, please contact the Public Works Department at 847.432.0807.