October 21, 2020 –The Highland Park Police Department is investigating an incident that occurred at approximately 5 PM on October 20, 2020. It has been reported that an unidentified male, driving a silver Nissan Murano, approached a 12 year old girl walking in the area of Braeside Road and Lakeside Place. The driver asked if the girl wanted to go to Sheridan Rd with him. She responded no and he drove away.
The driver was described as a 30 – 50 year old male, heavyset, dark hair, with a medium complexion. Police officers immediately began an investigation which is ongoing.
Please take this opportunity to discuss with your children the precautions they should take while away from home. Concentrate on the message of stranger awareness.
Following are some discussion points of safety:
- Don’t talk to strangers who try to talk to you on the way home.
- If the stranger continues trying to talk to you or stops the vehicle, run home or run to the nearest public place and immediately tell an adult what has happened.
- Never walk up to a car of a stranger and NEVER go with a stranger.
- It is best not to walk alone, walk with a friend or a group of students.
- If you have a cell phone, call 911 immediately.
- Try to remember as much as you can about the stranger and the vehicle.