To access the Zoom meeting, please use the following credentials:
Join from a PC, Mac, iPad, iPhone or Android device: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/89219205850Join by phone:
Phone: 312 626 6799
Webinar ID: 892 1920 5850
2020 Message from Naval Station Great Lakes
Capt. Ray Leung, commanding officer of Naval Station Great Lakes has shared this special message for Memorial Day 2020. Although we cannot observe the holiday together in person, the City encourages all to take a few moments to watch this video in honor of the sacrifices made by American service men and women.
The City invites residents to join a virtual Memorial Day observance by creating paper poppies and posting them in street-facing windows. Click here to download instructions to create your own poppies.
The following poem is an important traditional aspect of the City's Memorial Day ceremony. Written by Lt. Col. John McCrae, the poem memorializes the loss of life in World War I, where Lt. Col. McCrae served as a physician. Learn more about Lt. Col. McCrae in this article from the Poetry Foundation.
In Flanders Fields
The City encourages all residents to mark the solemn occasion of Memorial Day by participating in one of these suggested activities at home, while following social distancing guidelines:
• Participate in a national Moment of Remembrance at 3PM to pause and think upon the meaning of the day
• Fly a U.S. flag
• Wear your patriotic spirit
• Donate to veterans' charities
• Send a thank-you letter or message to a soldier currently serving
• Remember your family’s veterans
• Read the poem, In Flanders Fields, by Lieutenant Colonel John McRae
• Display a poppy, a symbol of remembrance for veterans
• Watch a movie or read a book that looks soldiers who lost their lives in service of the greater good