March 15, 2019 -- The City of Highland Park wishes you a happy and safe St. Patrick's Day this Sunday, March 17, 2019.
The Highland Park Police Department will conduct special patrols on St. Patrick’s Day weekend to arrest impaired drivers and to encourage the use of seat belts. Here are some important reminders and tips:
If you’re hosting a St. Patrick’s Day party:
- Remember, you can be held liable if someone you serve is involved in an impaired driving crash.
- Make sure your guests designate a sober driver in advance or help arrange ride-sharing with sober drivers.
- Serve plenty of food and non-alcoholic beverages.
- Download a ride-sharing app on your phone to help partygoers, and keep phone numbers for local cab companies handy.
- Take keys away from anyone who is trying of drive impaired.
If you’re going out for St. Patrick’s Day:
- Designate a sober driver ahead of time, and give that person your keys.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, call a cab, use ride-sharing, have a sober friend or family member pick you up, or stay where you are and sleep it off.
- Never let a friend leave your sight if you think they’re about to drive impaired.
- Buckle up – it’s your best defense in a crash.
The St. Patrick’s Day enforcement campaign is part of the Illinois “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over” and “Click It or Ticket” programs supported through federal funds administered by IDOT.