9-1-1 should be used to report any emergency that could be life-threatening. Some of the most common reasons for dialing 9-1-1 are:
- Dangerous conditions
Teaching Children 9-1-1
It is very helpful for children to learn how and when to use the emergency number 9-1-1. Teach youngsters to dial 9-1-1 as soon as they are mature enough to do so.
Tips for parents and guardians
- If you use a babysitter, make sure he/she knows what to do in an emergency.
- Keep emergency numbers listed near the phone.
- Keep medical records for each individual in the home listing any medical conditions, allergies, medications, etc. In a medical emergency this will help the paramedics provide the appropriate treatment for your family member.
- Make sure your child knows his/her name, address and phone number.
- Teach children, mature enough to do so, how and when to dial 9-1-1.
- Visit your local fire house and/or police station with your family. Take this time to ask questions and familiarize your family with the men and women who provide public safety for your community.