Planning and Economic Development staff serve as a resource to elected and appointed officials, and the community at-large. Additionally, the planning division staff serves to support the following commissions:
- Business and Economic Development BEDC reviews, advises, and makes recommendations to the City Council regarding projects undertaken in commercial, industrial and residential/office zoning districts.
- Cultural Arts Commission CAC works to establish a presence in the community through programs such as the Cultural Arts Calendar, the Community Arts Access Grant Program, and the Mayor’s Award for the Arts.
- Plan and Design Commission The PDC makes recommendations to the City Council regarding land use development plans and oversees the preparation of regulations, plans, and programs pertinent to development within the City. The PDC also reviews exterior changes requiring permits on non-single-family parcels.
- Historic Preservation Commission HPC reviews exterior alterations to landmarks or contributing properties in historic districts, and promotes community awareness of historic preservation.
- Housing Commission The Housing Commission encourages and engages in the development of low-and-moderate income housing.
- Joint Plan Commission JPC makes recommendations to the Highland Park City Council and Highwood City Council for land use development plans and related regulations at Fort Sheridan.
- Natural Resources Commission NRC was established in 2011 to provide recommendations on environmental and natural resource policies, regulations, ordinances, plans, and variations.
- Ravinia Festival Community Relations Commission RFCRC reviews and advises the City Council and the Ravinia Festival Association on neighborhood concerns related to the Ravinia Festival.
- Zoning Board of Appeals ZBA hears and decides upon applications for variations to the regulations of the Zoning Ordinance as well as issues forwarded to it by the City Council.