caption freeform

Related Boards and Commissions

Planning and Economic Development staff serve as a resource to elected and appointed officials, and the community at-large. Additionally, the planning division staff serves to support the following commissions: 
  • Business and Economic Development   BEDC reviews, advises, and makes recommendations to the City Council regarding projects undertaken in commercial, industrial and residential/office zoning districts.
  • Cultural Arts Commission CAC works to establish a presence in the community through programs such as the Cultural Arts Calendar, the Community Arts Access Grant Program, and the Mayor’s Award for the Arts.
  • Plan and Design Commission  DRC reviews exterior changes requiring permits on non-single-family parcels.
  • Historic Preservation Commission  HPC reviews exterior alterations to landmarks or contributing properties in historic districts, and promotes community awareness of historic preservation.
  • Housing Commission  The Housing Commission encourages and engages in the development of low-and-moderate income housing.
  • Joint Plan Commission  JPC makes recommendations to the Highland Park City Council and Highwood City Council for land use development plans and related regulations at Fort Sheridan.
  • Natural Resources Commission  NRC was established in 2011 to provide recommendations on environmental and natural resource policies, regulations, ordinances, plans, and variations.
  • Plan Commission  Plan Commission makes recommendations to the City Council regarding land use development plans and oversees the preparation of regulations, plans, and programs pertinent to development within the City.
  • Ravinia Festival Community Relations Commission  RFCRC reviews and advises the City Council and the Ravinia Festival Association on neighborhood concerns related to the Ravinia Festival.
  • Zoning Board of Appeals   ZBA hears and decides upon applications for variations to the regulations of the Zoning Ordinance as well as issues forwarded to it by the City Council.