Even Kids Can Help Conserve Water
Saving water is as easy as turning off a faucet! Here are a few simple things you can do at home:
- Don't keep the water running while you're brushing your teeth.
- Take shorter showers. Make it a game. Keep an egg timer in the bathroom and see who can get their showers down to three minutes. (And still get clean!)
- Help your mom or dad fix the dripping faucet. Did you know that it can waste 20 gallons of water a day?
- Help your mom or dad install a water-saving shower head. In addition to the water it saves, it also saves the fuel that would have been used to heat up the extra hot water. And that reduces pollution.
- Fill a gallon plastic bottle with water and place it in your toilet tank. (The part in the back!) It will take up the same space as the water usually does, but in a year, it will keep 5,000 gallons of water from going down the drain.
- Visit the EPA's WaterSense Kids website for more information.