The City Manager’s office will lead the effort to reduce the City’s volume of solid waste and to increase participation in recycling programs and composting.
Lake Shore Recycling Systems
As of January 1, 2016, Lakeshore Recycling Systems (LRS) is Highland Park's waste and recycling hauler for all residential, commercial and multi-family properties. Please visit lrsrecycles.com to read about Lakeshore Recycling Systems.
Lake Shore Recycling's Guide to Commercial Waste and Recycling in Highland Park.
Highland Park Composts! (For Businesses and Local Restaurants)
Highland Park Composts is a dedicated collaboration between The City of Highland Park, the Solid Waste Agency of Lake County (SWALCO), and Lakeshore Recycling to support the implementation of food scrap composting at local restaurants and businesses. Bright Beat Project Management and Consulting assisted in the project management and implementation of a pilot program throughout 2018 and has laid the foundation for the program to expand into the future.
Businesses and restaurants who participate in the program get access to:
- A free waste audit and walkthrough of operations
- A free recommendation and cost assessment for best practices to divert waste from landfills
- Bilingual Restaurant training guide for food scrap diversion and recycling
- 3 Customized laminated posters for recyclable, compostable, and landfill waste
- Customized Communications Cheat Sheet
- Complimentary Commit to Green compostable bags (limited supply)
- Registration with the Illinois Food Scrap Coalition
- Promotion through the City
Local businesses and restaurants who are interested in signing up for this program should email email@example.com.
Current participating restaurants and businesses include: Little Szechwan, Bluegrass, and La Casa de Isaac and Moishe.
A list of FAQs has been compiled to help answer any questions in regards to waste, recycling and composting. If you have further questions about waste and recycling programs, please contact LRS at 773.685.8811.