The City's new community solar program, developed in partnership with five other North Shore communities and the Metropolitan Mayors Caucus, is now available!
Program participants support solar power without installing their own rooftop panels, and subscriptions help finance and construct small solar facilities that might not otherwise be built. Community solar allows residents and small businesses to subscribe and receive credits on their electric bills. Participating in the program does not change your current utility company, and there is no cost to sign up.
Benefits of the program include:
• Fair and transparent subscription terms negotiated by the City
• Save on ComEd energy supply costs with a guaranteed 20% savings from electricity supply credits on your monthly bill
• Invest in clean solar energy without placing panels on your home
• Lower Illinois' carbon footprint
• Support renewable energy development, economic development, and job training in Northern Illinois
*Please note that the City's partner for the program's administration is MC Squared Energy Services. Learn more at cityhpil.com/communitysolar and Community Solar FAQ to sign up!
SolSmart is a non-profit program that provides recognition and no-cost technical assistance to help local governments reduce solar energy growth barriers. SolSmart provides a comprehensive list of possible action items focused on enabling and encouraging solar power adoption.
Highland Park was awarded a Bronze Level designation from SolSmart in 2018.
ComEd has multiple resources to learn more about and review materials for creating solar projects in the Highland Park region.