The Highland Park Police Department is pleased to offer a safe-exchange location for individuals to complete internet transactions.
Due to the increased popularity of online sales through Craigslist, Facebook, and other swap and sell sites, the Highland Park Police Department recognizes the need for individuals to have access to a safe location for completing their transactions. Citizens are encouraged to use the Highland Park Police Department lobby or parking lot located at 1677 Old Deerfield Road to conduct prearranged transactions.
Individuals who arrange to complete their transactions at the Police Department should note the following conditions:
- Transactions can be conducted in the lobby between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m.
- Police Department personnel will not oversee or be involved in the transaction in any way. Disputes regarding the sale price or item condition are considered to be a civil matter.
- Large items such as furniture, appliances, and outdoor equipment cannot be brought into the lobby. Sale of these items should take place in the parking lot.
- The sale of counterfeit, stolen, or illegal items is prohibited.
- Transactions cannot disrupt the official business of the Police Department.
- Items to be sold should not be left unattended in the parking lot or lobby for the buyer to pickup. This will be considered illegal dumping and is subject to a fine.
Please also consider the following safety tips when buying and selling on the internet:
- Do not invite strangers to your home to conduct internet transactions and do not go to a stranger's home.
- Use only familiar websites
- Do not provide personal information over the internet.