Zoning Board of Appeals
To sign up for automatic notifications on upcoming meetings and materials for Zoning Board of Appeals click here.
- Adam Hecht, Chair - Term expires 2016
- Kenneth Henry, Vice Chair - Term expires 2016*
- Mark Bina - Term expires 2019
- Ira Chaplik - Term expires 2017*
- David Fettner - Term expires 2019
- Bennett Klasky - Term expires 2016
- Mark Muller - Term expires 2019
- Karl Burhop, Staff Liaison
- Kim Stone, City Council Liaison
- Alexis Satterwhite, Student Representative through 6/2017
* May be reappointed for a second four-year term
The Zoning Board of Appeals consists of seven Highland Park residents appointed by the mayor and the City Council
. Term appointments cover a period of four years. No commission member may serve for more than two full consecutive terms.
The City of Highland Park's Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) has the responsibility for hearing and deciding upon applications for variations to the regulations of the City's Zoning Ordinance. The board also has the responsibility of hearing issues forwarded to it by the City Council.
The ZBA, under the special exceptions and Compere rules, is also a principal hearing/advisory body to the Plan Commission and City Council on
cases involving the amortization of legal non-conforming uses and structures. The board also has the authority to decide upon requests for variations from the ravine and steep slope setback requirements as well as certain regulations for fences.
In most cases, the ZBA has the authority to make final decisions on requests for variances; such decisions can be appealed only to the courts and not to the City Council.
For more information, please contact Karl Burhop, staff liaison to the Zoning Board of Appeals, at (847) 926-1852 or by email