Historic Preservation Commission
To sign up for automatic notifications on upcoming meetings and materials for Historic Preservation Commission click here.
- Barbara Thomas, Chair - Term expires 2016*
- Nancy Becker, Vice Chair - Term expires 2019
- Kathleen Illes - Term expires 2019*
- Gerald Fradin - Term expires 2016
- Joe Reinstein - Term expires 2017*
- Lisa Temkin - Term expires 2016
- Meghan Ann Salamasick - Term expires 2019*
- Jeremy Burroughs, Student Representative - Term expires 6/2017
- Nusrat Jahan - Staff Liaison
- Mike Evans - Park District Liaison
- Anthony E. Blumberg - City Council Liaison
- Julia Johnas - Library Liaison
*May be re-appointed to an additional four-year term.
It is the responsibility of the Historic Preservation Commission (HPC) to make recommendations to the City Council
on matters concerning historic preservation. Since its inception, the Historic Preservation Commission has actively researched local properties that may be eligible for landmark designation by the City Council. The commission's other activities include the review of proposed exterior alterations to landmarks or to contributing features in historic districts, as well as promoting community awareness of historic preservation through public education programs such as tours and lectures and sponsorship of the annual Highland Park Preservation Awards.
If you are a Highland Park resident and would like to have your home listed as a local landmark, please fill out the landmark nomination form
. City staff will perform additional research and present the nomination to the Historic Preservation Commission.
For more information, please contact Nusrat Jahan, staff liaison to the Historic Preservation Commission, at (847) 926-1858 or by email